|Portlock Storage Manager for VMware ESX Server BETA
Last Update: February 28, 2006
This beta release is a public open beta of Portlock Storage Manager
supporting VMware ESX Server. We have
released this beta in hopes that customers will be able to test and evaluate
major releases of our software.
Portlock's Virtualization Strategy
Machine Virtualization is the latest
that will become mainstream tomorrow. Virtualizing desktops and severs will
become so common place that we will not give this technology a second
thought. Portlock has been hard at work partnering with the major
virtualization vendors (Microsoft and VMware) and developing solutions for
storage management of virtualized environments. (Beta
Storage Management: Management
of virtual disks, partitions and file systems.
Physical to Virtual machine Migration:
Moving Linux, NetWare and Windows desktops and server into working virtual
Disaster Recovery and Backup:
Backup and Restore including Bare-Metal of systems hosting Virtual
Machines and the Guest operating systems running inside Virtual Machines.
Virtual Machine Management:
Creating, managing and monitoring of Virtual Machine environments.
Documents - Portlock:
Documents - Novell:
Documents - VMware:
These downloads are previews of features that will be included
in the next production versions of our products. These versions have
not completed QA and may have a number of bugs. Do not use these
versions on production machines. Please take the time to send us
feedback, we really do listen.
Known Problems with this BETA (to be corrected before
- Supports VMware ESX Server 2.5.x.
- Bootable CD for Bare-Metal Disaster Recovery (supports all VMware
supported hardware and controllers).
- Supports VMware VMFS2 File Systems.
- Linux and VMFS2 Storage Management.
- VMware Virtual Disk Storage Management.
- Hot backup of Linux, NetWare and Windows Virtual Machines.
- Extremely fast tools to migrate a Physical Machine to a Virtual Machine
in a single step for Linux, NetWare and Windows.
BETA Technical Support
Technical Support for beta products is provided by
Include the following information:
- Please remember to mention that you are evaluating or testing a
- A logfile. Add the command line option -logfile=beta.log when running
the software. Detailed information is written to the logfile during the
software execution. ZIP the
logfile and attach to your email as beta.zip.
- The VMware ESX Server version version that you are executing our product
- Mention if you are booting from the Portlock Boot CD. If so,
include hardware information.
- Include exact steps to reproduce. Don't say, restore failed. Specify
exactly what failed and how. Include the logfile in your email as a ZIP
To be released early April, 2006.
Portlock Storage Manager 3.36 (BETA) includes support for Physical to