Portlock Storage Manager for Linux and NetWare
December 5, 2003 - Novell's Big Bang
A lot of customers are asking Portlock about our position and thoughts on
Novell's entry into the Linux market and how we will respond to supporting
Novell and the Linux market.
Portlock considers Novell's move into the Linux market brilliant. The
acquisition of SuSE gives Novell a strong platform that is very popular on which
to base Novell's technology upon. Portlock fully supports Novell's new strategy
and we will completely support Linux and NetWare on Linux. As the only company
with full disk level support for Novell's NSS file system, we are clearly in a
strong position to provide support for NetWare on Linux including NSS.
Linux and Portlock Storage Manager
Portlock released beta support for Linux, which includes SuSE 8.1 - 9.0 and
Red Hat 7.3 - 9.0, September 2003 in our NetWare / DOS products. Our next step is to port
Portlock Storage Manager to run natively on Linux. The beta download on this
page is a native Linux port.
Portlock Storage Manager for Linux will be released as part of the 4.0
release in January 2004.
What benefits will this provide both NetWare and Linux
Portlock will continue to release NLM versions of Portlock Storage Manager.
By adding a Linux native port, additional benefits will be achieved:
- The ability to create a booting CD that supports both Linux and NetWare
- Increased TCP/IP performance compared to using the Novell DOS Client for
- Increased Disk performance compared to using DOS ASPI drivers for
- Improved GUI. Both NetWare and Linux support the X-Windows API. This means
that Portlock will be able to enhance Storage Manager with an improved GUI
interface that has the same look and feel on bare-metal machines with no OS
and for Linux and NetWare.
Portlock will add powerful new features supporting both
NetWare and Linux.
- File System Conversion. Portlock Storage Manager / Portlock
Scorpion will support converting file systems between Novell and Linux
- NetWare Traditional <-> NSS.
- Ext2 <-> NSS
- ReiserFS <-> NSS
- System Backup and Restore. Portlock Storage Manager will support
"classic" file based backup and restore.
- Backup and restore individual file sets to / from a variety of
media and locations. (Tape, Disk Farms, FTP and Web Servers, DVD Writers).
- Bare-metal disaster recovery. Boot from CD / DVD and restore a system
with no operating system installed from a variety of media and locations.
(Tape, Disk Farms, FTP and Web Servers, DVD Writers).
How do I learn more?
- Participate in our Linux Beta program beginning November 2003.
Go to this page.
- Attend our session titled "Storage Management for Linux and NetWare with
Portlock Storage Manager" at Novell BrainShare 2004, March 21-26, 2004.